Sunday 28 April 2013

Mordor Orcs

Here's a dozen Mordor orcs I completed in an afternoon of hobby productivity! The figures are nicely detailed and very easy to paint up. A base colour and a wash give you a decent result in a short time - about four hours in this case, so around twenty minutes per figure is achievable. Obviously at this speed they are gaming level and might not stand up to close scrutiny, but sometimes it's nice to sit down for just an afternoon and have something useable at the end of it.

I have been enjoying playing skirmish games in the past few months, games like Saga and Muskets and Tomahawks. I wanted to try something similar sized but in a fantasy vein. There are some fantasy battle boards for Saga on the web, but I thought it would be worth revisiting another ruleset before trying them. The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game (now The Hobbit SBG of course) has a good sized presence on the web and seems to be well regarded. It would be silly not to give it a try. So that's exactly what we did - Matt and I have played a couple of games and we both like it.  Matt has a huge collection of LOTR figures, pretty much every faction in various sizes. I have a more modest collection of 12 men of Gondor and 12 orcs and a little bit of terrain painted up, with plenty more in the unpainted pile. The nice thing about these figures is they are pretty cheap to pick up on ebay.




EDIT And here's the next little batch ready for priming. Fifteen more Mordor orcs to add to the growing army. I will do really well if I get these done in one afternoon, given the increased numbers and the banner, so I will probably aim for two sessions.


4 comments:

Blackwarden said...

I like the drab color scheme you chose. Too often I see orcs and goblins painted in bright glaring colors which fail to convey a sense of menace and dread one would expect from such a foul race. Well done!

Nord said...

I think the menace also comes from the sculpt, these are not comical apes! I have plenty more to come, I am pondering whether to include Wargames factory orcs too, possibly as uruk-hai.

Minitrol said...

I feel like I am coming here all the time jut to say I can't believe these are speed painted!

But it's true!

Was it a one wash solution of different washes for different areas?

Nord said...

It's a bit of a blur now, for the next batch I will take more notes. I start with white primer, then wash all over with a dark grey or dark brown. Then I would have picked out the cloth and leather in various browns and greys. I chose one colour as a feature, the dark red, which went on most of the figures. Then I washed with various dark colours. The metals I painted then washed with a very dark brown. Finally I painted a few bits of skin in a pale grey or green, and picked out hair in grey. Photos and step by step next time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...