Tuesday 31 October 2017

X.V - Ghouls

It seems a fitting day to be posting another look back at my ten years of blogging. We have reached the halfway point, the year 2012. So far, the majority of my favourite work has been related to my chaos army and, true to form, I did paint a large and rather splendid unit of marauders, which almost made it to the top slot. 2012 was also notable as the year I made my first steps in playing historical games, most notably collecting a Saxon force for games of Saga. But it was this unit of ghouls painted at the end of the year that I have chosen to showcase.

There's something really nice about having the figures posed on these multi bases, they seem more alive. They are fairly flexible too, using wound counters, though not much good for skirmish games. But at the time I had no idea that massed fantasy gaming was on the way out. The ghoul hag/necromancer was a later addition, but she was always meant to be the leader of this horde. I should really repaint the edge of the base to blend in more!

These figures also reflect a continued change in my painting technique. I had for years slaved away at the old method of base coat, shade, layer, layer, layer. But after reading articles on painting armoured vehicles I had started to glaze more and more. It had always been my aim to be able to paint figures purely on glazing from white, and these figures reflect that. White primer, glazes and some stippling were all it took. The character had some more traditional layering too, but again it was nearly all simple glazing and stippling. It's a technique I use almost exclusively to this day.

5 comments:

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

Big WooooooooW! what a perfect skon colour!

Michael Awdry said...

Absolutely amazing!

Steve Williams said...

They look stupendously good - filthy, bedraggled yet filled with unholy energy.

Nord said...

Thanks guys. I really need to find a mass fantasy battle game to use these in. I tried KOW but found it a bit flat.

Paintsquig1980 said...

Duuude! What an awesome unit! Both the ghouls and the hag look perfect! Btw, where are the models from?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...