Tuesday 17 September 2013

Avatars of War offers

It seems that Avatars of War are switching from resin/restic to injection plastic moulded figures. They recently introduced plastic Dwarf rangers to their product range and kicked off with a special offer of a promotional figure and a discount on the first 200 boxes. Now they are making a similar offer on dwarf gunners and warriors of apocalypse corrupters. There's also a new metal figure release too. Full details on the Avatars of War facebook page.

I was a big fan of Avatars of War, I bought and painted up their plastic dwarf berserkers (shown here) and have several of the metal figures in various armies. I pledged to their indiegogo campaign too, though only in a small way - the army standard bearer. But that's when things started to sour a little, as delays and lack of updates plagued the project. Reading between the lines, I guess they had some real production problems casting up their sets in the new wonder material, plastic resin, which was obviously cheaper to start up with than plastic injection moulding, but has cost them many problems in the longer term.

I much prefer plastic to restic, so am tempted by these new boxsets, but find myself with a little dilemma. I don't play warhammer much these days, but these figures are really nice. Should I buy them and hope that I can resurrect my interest in the game (or find a decent alternative), or should I continue to explore new gaming systems like Saga, Lord of the Rings, et al? I prefer other gaming systems to warhammer, but I still love the fantasy genre minis best of all and get most enjoyment out of painting them.

5 comments:

marjedi said...

The miniatures are very nice.

I would wait abit. They arent really going anywhere and will still be there when the desire to play fantasy returns.

Maybe 9th will be an awesome game

Nord said...

Well, yes, but the limited edition figures are, well, limited. The temptation is to get them while they are available, especially the chaos champion, which looks rather splendid. The dwarf champion gunner is perhaps not to my taste as much.

Jonah said...

Buy them, but use them for Kings of War rather than WFB.

Stefan said...

I am curious (and very new to tabletop gaming) - What do you actually play at the moment besides Lord of the Rings and Saga?

Nord said...

I have recently been playing mostly skirmish games, Saga, LotR, Muskets and Tomahawks and even a Victoriana game invented by my gaming buddy. But I still enjoy collecting and painting Warhammer fantasy armies, even if the rules are not my favourite set. I am hoping to find an alternative mass fantasy rules set at some point.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...